Google Said ‘oeuvre’, not I 😉
Jenny Montigny preferred to paint everyday scenes from the countryside and village life in Sint-Martens-Latem. As here in “The Gardener”, these snapshots are not a reason to visualize social abuses or emphasize the weight of labor. On the contrary, Montigny always painted a harmonious society. The subject itself seems rather a pretext for painting itself, for her search to capture the intensity of light on the canvas. Exceptional for her oeuvre is the monumental format of “The Gardener”. The horizon line is relatively high so that two thirds of the image area is dominated by the diversity of pink, red and orange yellow. The whole canvas looks like a firework of red and pink shades that also colors the sky and the figures.
Look at the Water!!
To me, the most amazing parts of this painting are the sections where the pouring water falls to the flowers. HOW DID SHE CAPTURE THE MAGIC OF FALLING WATER?
The jewel-like glimmer is gorgeous – she must have observed the optical distortions of light and water closely to be able to show this quality. Frankly, I would purchase this image detail (below) as a stand alone work of abstract art if I saw it on the wall for sale.
Needless to say, I need to know a lot more about this artist…more to come in future months.
Click for Enlarged Detail:
- Jenny Montigny
- “The Gardener“
- Museum of Fine Arts in Ghent
- 180x 245 cm
- [Public domain or CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)%5D, from Wikimedia Commons]
- Jeanne (Jenny) Montigny (8 December 1875, Ghent – 31 October 1937, Deurle) was a Belgian painter and pastelist. She was a long time student and mistress of artist Emile Claus.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Ghent, Belgium, “Jenny Montigny, The Gardener”, http://www.vlaamsekunstcollectie.be/collection.aspx?p=0848cab7-2776-4648-9003-25957707491a&inv=1913-K , (accessed 29 Oct 2018).
- Wikipedia contributors, “Jenny Montigny,” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jenny_Montigny&oldid=856308805 (accessed October 30, 2018).
- Wikimedia Commons contributors, “File:Jenny Montigny – The Gardener.jpg,” Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Jenny_Montigny_-_The_Gardener.jpg&oldid=319461979 (accessed October 30, 2018).
- For a flash-based formal visual analysis of this and two other Montigny paintings, go to Painting Analysis.com
Thanks for Reading! 🙂