Debussy’s Clair de Lune III

Lucien Lévy-Dhurmer (French, 1865-1953) Sérénade au clair de lune – Venise, signed ‘L Lévy-Dhurmer’ (lower right), pastel on paper on board, (56.5 x 81.2 cm.), Image Source: Christie’s

Well-versed in Rodenbach’s Symbolist ideas, Lévy-Dhurmer has similarly captured the mood of a late evening in Venice in the present work, contrasting a symphony of the blue and silver tones of moonlight playing across the water and the gondolas with the dazzling, brilliant yellow and orange tones of glowing orbs of man-made light. In some areas, it is not clear what is itself a light source, and what is reflection, and these glowing orbs seem to cluster together above the empty gondolas almost like fireflies. The resulting composition is less an exact depiction than an evocation of the mood of the emptying city illuminated by moonlight.

Christie’s

Note: Clair de Lune – Start: 59:34 21. End: 1:03:17

59:34 21. Clair de Lune, for piano (Mondglanz, Mondschein, Moonlight), Suite B from recording Claude Debussy plays Debussy | Complete recordings made by Claude Debussy: The Composer as Pianist. Compilation from all Debussy recordings available “Claude Debussy Plays His Finest Works” (1904-1913).

Hear More

Tag: Clair de Lune At Sunnyside

Thanks for Visiting 🙂

~Sunnyside

28 Comments Add yours

1. penwithlit says:

Reblogged this on penwithlit and commented:
    Wonderful, gorgeous Debussy

2. Jade says:

Wow so enchanting

1. I am so happy you enjoyed this, Jade. Thanks for visiting! 🙂

3. Good morning (I am sorry – I don’t know your real name). 🙂 I actually played this when auditioning for entry to DePaul’s School of Music in the summer of 1979. ( I made it into the school by a hair!) I used to call my piano my “high-school boyfriend” because that was all I did – practice. I only got a piano when I was 13 and only had four years of study then. I had ideas of playing classical piano for a living but realized that I would never be that good. I memorized stuff quickly and as a result, had lots of difficulties reading music. I continued to study when I changed university and went to SIU in Carbondale, Illinois – the head of the music department took me on himself as a pupil – but chose another artistic path for my life instead. I used to say I was born a couple hundred years late! LOL. Anyway – the painting is beautiful and the song brought back some nice memories. Thanks! ❤

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for sharing these wonderful memories, Sheila. I love that you describe your piano as your “high-school boyfriend” lol I have often thought I was born in the wrong century, too! 🙂❤️

4. This is the first time I’ve heard Debussy playing the piano. The recording seems to have been digitally enhanced.

Liked by 2 people

1. Of the three versions I have posted, this one is by far my favorite. 🙂

1. dorahak says:

It’s as atmospheric as the painting. Simply beautiful. 😍

Liked by 1 person

5. Such a stunning piece (? is piece the right word?) of music. And an equally stunning work of art. Thank you so much for this 🙂🙏💕

1. My pleasure, Patti! I am so pleased you enjoyed this. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

6. Gorgeous! 😍 This one stopped me in my tracks. I must really love when artists capture light at night because the impact this one has on me is similar to what I felt when I saw a painting at a Turner, Whistler and Monet exhibition. One that at first glance looked like a black canvas with a yellow dot two-thirds of the way up. But on closer inspection, it’s anything but simple. If only I could remember which of the three Artists painted it and the name of the painting.

Liked by 1 person

1. I love those same qualities, too, Gia. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. 🙂

7. Michele Lee says:

A beautiful post, in image and music. 💗

Liked by 1 person

1. I am pleased you enjoyed these, Michele. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 🙂❤️

1. Michele Lee says:

Oh yes, a treat for me! 💖

Liked by 1 person

8. So beautiful. I learn so much on your site. Thank you!

1. My pleasure, Kelly! I appreciate your visit. 🙂

9. This painting is as beautiful as the gorgeous piano piece. This piece our one homeschooled son played for recital—captivating. He made that piano sing.

Liked by 1 person

1. All six of mine were home educated through high school. I am so happy this music brought to mind such happy memories, Mitzy. 🙂

1. All five of ours were h’schooled too through high school! 🙂 And now they h’school their children, and I help, via the phone.  We call it Tele-Granny School.  We read/discuss books together, and work puzzles of all sorts 2x’s/wk.   When ours were young,  we had a home schooled art club, where we would, of course draw, but studied gre

10. gabychops says:

Thank you for the beautiful recording!

Joanna

Liked by 1 person

1. This is one I turn on when I need instant calm…lol I am so pleased you enjoyed it, too, Joanna.

1. gabychops says:

You are more than welcome.

Joanna